Monday, January 21, 2019

Varnishing


This is what the boat looked like for the past 10 days. I took every sheet I owned and covered up the books and all the other bits we have stored, extra sails, tools,dinghy wheels, etc. It was a losing battle trying to keep the sawdust off of everything, but the sheets did help. We took all the cushions off and stored them in Bob’s truck.
 We have finished sanding and trying to fill in the holes and then stain the filler. We would smear the filler on then sand it down, then stain the little holes. The problem was that the filler would stay in the wood grain and there would be minute particles that stayed white around the original hole. It is driving me crazy.  Perhaps I should not have tried to fill the holes, oh well too late now.

I have two coats of varnish on and it is not coming off.  This is the view of the pieces of the cabin sole I can remove and my work area behind the boat, thank heavens for the wall. They look pretty good from 3 meters up. They will be a lot better than they were so that is what counts I guess.  





Bob and I went hiking yesterday morning. We scrambled up the first hill and then found a path leading us to the top of the next peak.  It was a gorgeous day and the views were stunningly in all directions. We marvelled at the many varieties of cacti, large and small and some were flowering.

When we got down I hurried off to a local beach to support a march for women against violence. They hadn’t even started the spearheaded when I had arrived and it was going to be 40 minutes until the Zumba dancers and an hour until the marched.  I purchased a t-shirt and left a donation and scooted back to the boat to put the second coat of varnish on. 
Bob has been busy changing the bearings on the wheels of his trailer. He managed to find a place that sold them in Guaymas and somehow communicated what he needed. We are really enjoying having our car down here, trips to the new Home Depot occur regularly.  I have convinced Barry that our corroded covers for our 110 electrical plugs need to be replaced so there is another trip in our future. 
The engine part we are waiting for is supposed to be shipped to us tomorrow. Who knows when it will arrive, in the meantime I can continue to varnish. Polishing the top sides comes next, my wrists hurt just thinking about it.