Thursday, June 07, 2012

Stretching up to get her neck scratched




Another hiking shot through eucalyptus trees
Well I am finally getting my kite surfing fix! The last 2 days the wind has been humming away at over     20 knots and I have been getting hauled around the water at great rate. Let me set the scene for you.  The beach is on the windward side of the island, it is about a kilometer long and the reef is about 500 to 700 meters away. That means there is a huge space where the kiting is ideal, no waves, shallow water and lots of room.  The other day I saw 12 kites out there and there was room for twice that many.  The first lesson I got to do some body dragging, lying on your stomach in the water and flying the kite back and forth so it drags you around.  I have learned to let go when I get in trouble rather than haul down like we used to do in kite skiing, when you do that on this kite it powers it up and you get yanked out of the water.  I had a few face plants and swallowed some sea water, but no damage.  At the end of the lesson, we got to try and get up on the board, now that is a challenge.  The second lesson was all about getting up on the board.  I managed for about 10 meters and was just getting the hang of it when the lesson was over.  Lesson # 3 is scheduled for today and the wind is blowing so it should be on.  Hopefully I can co-ordinate the kite and the board and get he feel of the board under me.  Wish me luck.  
A herd of turtles
Hopefully I will get some kite surfing pics. Even if it is just the area, it is great.