Friday, July 12, 2013

We are currently in Edmonton.  We will be attending my nieces's wedding tomorrow.  We had a great time with my Mom.  We spent about 6 days up at a cottage on Lake Winnipeg, north of Gimli.  The weather co-operated very nicely.  One day we went up to Hecla Island and visited the old Icelandic settlement there.  We saw remnants of the fishing industry that existed and saw a typical home that was restored to about the 1920's.  We spent Canada Day at the forks of the Red and Assiniboine Rivers in Winnipeg.  The spot where the fur traders initially built the fort where everyone would come to trade their furs. I lived in Winnipeg for 10 years and I don't think I had ever seen the spot where the two rivers meet before.
I sewed a bimini for the boat, buying fancy UV resistant thread in Wpg. and purchasing the sunbrella material in Nova Scotia.  I had brought bits of the old bimini with me so that I could get the dimensions correct and I spent about three days at Mom's sewing up a storm. I would take up her whole living room when the bimini was laid out on the floor.  It's a good thing she sews and quilts because she never complained once.  Her machine was great and I managed not to break it.  I am pretty happy with the finished product.  I just have to have some grommets and snaps but on it on the West Coast and then it will be good to go.
We visited old friends from Uranium City, 1977-1980 years Terry and Gerry Skopyk at their home in Saskatchewan.  They have a boat that is in Panama at the moment so we have lots in common and had a great time talking about yachting life.  We are visiting some more old Yellowknife buddies, Dennis and Sylvia Malloy, we curled in the mixed Friday night league for years.  We played some bridge last night for old times sake and it was girls against the boys and the women prevailed once again!!
I will have to download the pictures later.