Thursday, May 01, 2014

Cannons of the Caribbean


Our first cannon experience in St. Vincent.

Overlooking Rodney Bay, St. Lucia where Mark and Lucy joined us, they are British cannons. 
A caronnade or mortar, abandoned in the brush at the top of a hill, a real find, St. Lucia. 
Standing guard over the fort in The Saintes, Guadeloupe, a French cannon!
Along the waterfront in Montserrat, they didn't want to pull them up that hill?
Do you think Barry had an ulterior motive for posing me there, in Nevis with St. Kitts in the background.
I don,t look particularly happy about posing with this lonely fellow, left to rot in the grass.

That's it no more cannon shots for me today, we are still on Nevis.

The big smile is because you can see two different countries in the background, St. Eustatia and Saba.
Same spot on St. Kitts defending a different direction.  I am getting creative
with my posing!
A Spanish cannon, saving the biggest and best until the last.  San Juan, Puerto Rico. 
These are Spanish cannonballs, the largest ones we saw, they actually moved a little when I climbed on top, oops! Imagine the damage they could do.