Monday, June 01, 2009


Tonight I realized why we spent so many years living here. It is breathtakingly beautiful. I wondered down the lane behind where we are staying about 10:30 at night. I was miserable, feeling stress about finding a place to live, worried about imposing on friends, just out of sorts due to re-integrating into the normal North American lifestyle again. I walked out onto a dock and looked out over the half frozen lake. There was water around the edges, the middle was ice. It had rained yesterday and the ice was a patchwork of greys, with puddles of water accumulating on the top of the ice turning the white snow black, attracting today's sunlight. I looked back to where we are currently living, in the "shack" and saw a beautiful house and garage with marvelous symmetry overlooking the lake, the shack is to the right in the picture. The evening sun was just setting and the colour of the sky was that gorgeous northern blue that you get as the midnight sun sinks below the horizon.
I hurried back to get the camera to capture the moment, my spirits lifted and I felt ready to face whatever tomorrow will bring.